Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Monday, August 21, 2006


Wow, so I'm back. The workshop was amazing! So many great people, so much information, so little sleep! Amazingly I did manage to get a few things read while I was gone. So here is the rundown for you:

Heavy Metal and You I picked this up 'cause I know I'd read about it somewhere. I'm thinking Bookshelves of Doom, but I'm really too lazy to check it out. It’s the story of Sam, and the girl he falls in love with. Sam's life revolves around heavy metal music, and hanging out with his friends (which usually translates as getting wasted with his friends). But then he meets Melissa, and she's amazing, and she's all he can think about. Well, almost all he can think about; a boy's gotta listen to music, right? Author Christopher Krovatin is obviously a huge metal fan, but one who can wax lyrical about the music in all its forms, too. Not to say that metal heads are dumb, but I haven't heard a case made for the music like he does.

Anyways, the problem with Melissa is that she's not into metal. Or his friends, or his extra curricular or anything he's into at all really. And her friends make him want to scream with their phoniness. I think we can all see where this is going. But though Krovatin uses clichés for plot devices, his writing is phenomenal. Sam, and his passion for heavy metal are as real as it gets.

All of which translates into: Christopher Krovatin, when is your next book coming out?

Heavy Metal and You by Christopher Krovatin
ISBN 0439743990
186 pages

2 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Leila said…

    I LOOOOOOOOOVED HM&Y, but I don't know if it was my site or not.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger bookstore girl said…

    That must have been it then, 'cause I can't think where else I would have heard of it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home