Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Thursday, July 27, 2006


I know this is extremely belated, but I would just like to say, that I think last year's Governor General's awards sucked it up in the Children's Illustration category. First off, Shi-Shi-Etko was not nominated, which totally floored me. Secondly, the winner was Imagine a Day. My reaction to that book? Meh. A big, fat meh. To be honest, from the short list, I was rooting for City Angel.

Author Eileen Spinelli isn't Canadian, so she's not eligible for the GG (if they happened to have one for writing a picture book, which they don't. What is up with that Canada Council?!), but illustrator Kyrsten Brooker is. City Angel is a day in the life of an urban angel. Throughout the day she does good deeds, and has a great time. But not at all in a smarmy way! This angel is cool. She skateboards, and shoots hoops, and sings with street musicians.

Brooker's illustrations, however, are what makes the book. They're a great combination of paint and collage, and let me tell you, this is the best looking angel I've ever seen. She looks like someone you'd very much like to spend the day with.

City Angel written by Eileen Spinelli illustrated by Kyrsten Brooker
ISBN 0803728212
32 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home