Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006


After I read K.L. Going's new book, I wanted to kick myself in the pants for not having read Fat Kid Rules the World. Instead I went out and read it. Man, am I ever glad I did.

Troy is the fat kid of the title. And he spends most of his time trying not to be funny, though kids seem to laugh at him no matter what he does. Although he has painfully low self-esteem, his thought process is hilarious. I especially loved the headlines he comes up with to compliment his actions.

Anyways, Troy is contemplating ending his miserable life when he meets Curt MacRae. Curt is an amazing punk guitarist, and he talks Troy into being his drummer. Except the last time Troy played drums was in middle school. And also, he's fat. Which means he really shouldn't be doing anything that makes him stand out. Right?

Going's amazing on her descriptions of punk, and the whole scene in general. The show that Troy attends, the records and cd's he listens to, all are described with amazing precision. But most important is how all this makes Troy feel, and that is the centre of this book.

Fat Kid Liberated by Punk Rock!

Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L. Going
ISBN 0142402087
192 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home