Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Thursday, July 13, 2006


Okay, sorry for the recent absence. I don't even have a good excuse. I just got lazy. So to make up for it, I have a whole lotta picture books here for you.

Starting off we have Hippo! No, Rhino!, which wins the award for most punctuation in a book title. But that's not the only remarkable thing about this hilarious book. The whole business starts off when a rather ill-informed zoo keeper places a "Hippo" sign in front of the rhino pen. All sorts of people come by, and remark on the hippo. Rhino becomes rather frustrated, repeatedly shouting out that he is, in fact, a rhino, and that's not his "sign-o." Luckily for the rhino, a sympathetic little boy comes along and fixes the sign. However, on the last page, the zoo keeper strikes again, setting up a sign in front of the hippo that reads "Porcupine-o."

Newman's illustrations make the small amount of text work perfectly. The rhino grows visibly more frustrated, as the ignorant visitors continue to not notice his innate rhino-ness. There are also tons of hilarious details throughout; my favourite being the small birds that hang out on the rhino's back.

Hippo! No, Rhino! written and illustrated by Jeff Newman
ISBN 031615573X
32 pages

2 Comments:

  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger alvinaling said…

    Oh, yay! So glad you liked HIPPO! NO, RHINO. It was one that I edited and I think it's a perfect picture book (the again, I'm biased). I'm hoping that it finds its audience.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger bookstore girl said…

    Dude, that book cracks me up! Rest assured, I am selling it up here in Victoria!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home