Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Thursday, June 29, 2006


I was thinking the other day that I have not read any adult books in a long time. So I picked up Baby Proof by Emily Giffin. I have read her other two books, and though they did not make me think deep thoughts, I very much enjoyed them.

Baby Proof is about Claudia, who has always said she doesn't want children. Finally, in her early thirties she meets the perfect man. Claudia and Ben fall deeply in love, and everything is wonderful because Ben doesn't want kids either. Until Ben decides he does want kids. Claudia is pissed, because Ben has reneged on their deal, and divorces him forthwith. She's miserable, but maintains that she doesn't want kids. It's a hard position to maintain in our society, and it doesn't help that Claudia's circle of mid-thirties friends are all baby crazy.

Not a whole lot actually happens in the book, the big question being: will Claudia and Ben get back together? Will one of them compromise on the issue of kids? But I didn't mind so much. Claudia is funny, in an acerbic kind of way, and her sisters (one has three kids and a philandering husband, one has a great husband, but can't for the life of her get pregnant) are hilarious. If you're reading this book, you're really reading if for the characters. Giffin's real talent, I think, are the bit players in a book.

Baby Proof is one of those great summer beach reads.

Baby Proof by Emily Giffin
ISBN 0312348649
352 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home