Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Tuesday, July 04, 2006


For my birthday a month or so ago, I received a ridiculous gift certificate to the store where I work. One of the books I got myself was March by Geraldine Brooks. I adored her Year of Wonders, and the only reason I haven't read March sooner was because it is a spin-off of Little Women. I have never read Little Women, because the title is so off-putting. Plus the Marches sound as dull as dull can be.

Despite all that, I am glad I finally did read this one. Apparently, in Alcott's story, Mr. March heads off to minister to the troops in the American Civil War (note: I hate when Americans refer to this as though it is though it is the only civil war that ever occurred, anywhere). Alcott's book follows the year that he is gone through the eyes of his family, and Brooks has decided to tell Mr. March's story. The best thing about Brooks as a writer, in my opinion, is that although she does a ton of research, she doesn't necessarily try to cram it all into her novel. Story first! Should be every historical fiction author's motto.

Anyway, so Mr. March's story is told partially through his letters home, which are full of lies (he feels he can't describe the horrors of war to his "little women"), and also through memories of his youth, including the experiences that turned him toward abolitionism.

I generally found that I was not a big fan of Mr. March, as a character; he was a little too self-involved for my taste. But the thing about Geraldine Brooks is, she's a great writer. Really, she is. So I just kept wanting to read.

I will say that I found the ending a little abrupt. But I have a suspicion that it is similar to how Alcott ended her book, though I can't say for sure.

March by Geraldine Brooks
ISBN 0143036661
288 pages

6 Comments:

  • At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here's a random confession:
    I absolutely love Little Women, but have based that love on film versions alone. I have never once read the book. I don't own it, I've never held it in my hand.

    Does the book end when Mr. March gets injured and comes home?

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here's a random confession:
    I absolutely love Little Women, but have based that love on film versions alone. I have never once read the book. I don't own it, I've never held it in my hand.

    Does the book end when Mr. March gets injured and comes home?

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger bookstore girl said…

    Beats me!

     
  • At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You read it! or is this whole book review thing a facade? Huh? Huh?

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Blogger bookstore girl said…

    I read March, not Little Women.

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger bookstore girl said…

    Whoops, I totally misunderstood that. Basically, yeah, it does, but the whole book skips around different time periods, so the real answer is: sort of.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home