Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Thursday, July 13, 2006


I am going to be at my family's cottage this weekend, which means no internet access, so I'm trying to write enough reviews to hold you till Monday. I figure one more and we're set.

I think I've probably said this before, but I really like Cornelia Funke's picture books. I think better than her novels, to be truthful. The Wildest Brother is newly published here, so I thought I would talk about it here.

Ben spends all of his time fighting monsters, burglers and wild animals. But not just because he'd rather do that than various chores. The real reason that he has to work so hard is to protect his big sister Anna. Anna, I should note, is a remarkably patient big sister. I don't think I was nearly as understanding of my younger siblings, but maybe that's just me.

Anyways, after a long hard day spent fighting, Ben heads off to bed. But you know, "when Night presses her soot-black face against the window and the heating creaks like the sound of a thousand beetles," even the bravest of fighters can get scared. Fortunately, one of Anna's specialties is protecting little brothers from the Night.

My only complaint about this book is a small one. The last sentence is "And it is sooo wonderful to have a big, strong sister." Were those extra 'O's really necessary?

The Wildest Brother written by Cornelia Funke illustrated by Kerstin Meyer
ISBN 0439828627
24 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home