Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Thursday, July 13, 2006


Do you ever just take against a book? As in, there is no particular reason to not like it, but you just don't? That's how I feel about Black-and-White Blanche. This is Marj Toews' first picture book, and I can't help but get the impression that she doesn't read a lot of kid's books.

Blanche lives in Victorian England, and because the queen only wears black and white, her father dictates that black and white is good enough for them. So the whole family, and all their servants only get to wear black and white. I should note here that everyone's name begins with a 'B,' even the servants. Anyway, Blanche wants to wear pink. All pink all the time is what she wants, and all she gets is black and white. So she runs away. Runs away to live with the flower seller down the street, who is big into colour. Eventually Blanche is found, and her father realizes the error of his ways, and everyone wears colour and everything is wonderful and everyone's faults disappear. Oh thank you colour, you have saved the day!

Suffice to say, I'm not a fan.

Black-and-White Blanche written by Marj Toews illustrated by Dianna Bonder
ISBN 1550051326
32 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home