Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006


The other novel I read this weekend was the first volume in a new series. Triskelia Book One: The Droughlanders is Carrie Mac's newest. It was sold to me as fantasy, but it really seems more like science fiction to me.

Its the story of twins Seth and Eli, who are keylanders. That means they live a privileged existence in one of the keys, which are sort of like walled cities. But not just any walled cities. The keys control the weather, and rain only falls where and when they make it. So the rest of the world is the Droughtland, full of dirty Droughtlanders, who are prone to Sicks.

Anyways, Seth and Eli hate each other with a passion, and when their mother Lisette is killed in a bombing, their differences really come out. Seth ends up joining the guards, and Eli runs away to try and join the Droughtland revolutionary group, the Triskelians.

I don't really want to say too much more, and give away the story, so I'll leave it at that. The story took me a while to get into at first, because its pretty brutal. Seth and Eli definitely live in a world that's violent and full of conflict. This book would definitely be a great one to give to older, teenaged boys.

Seth and Eli are also both a great draw for the older teenaged crowd. My personal favourite is Seth, who is morally corrupt at best, a psychopath at worst. Mac's skills definitely lie in creating characters and dilemmas that are morally ambiguous.

My only complaint about this book is that it ends on a serious cliff hanger. Really, I am desperate for book two. Very desperate.

Triskelia Book One: The Droughtlanders by Carrie Mac
ISBN 0670065455
360 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home