Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Friday, June 09, 2006


Okay, I have been busying it up reading some novels this week.

Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson is a novel about three girls who spend the summer on a Georgia peach orchard. Birdie's father owns the failing orchard, and spends most of her time fielding phone calls from her mother, who left the orchard, and the family. Leeda is from the perfect southern family, but she despite appearances, she doesn't feel like she fits in. Finally, Murphy is from the wrong side of the tracks, is crazy smart, and doesn't give a toss what anyone thinks of her.

The book felt very Travelling Pants to me, so definitely recommend this to girls who enjoyed that series. It even has a quote from Ann Brashares on the front cover. But instead of being about friendships that have been around forever, Peaches is a novel about creating that kind of friendship. And how sometimes, when you're a teenage girl, things just happen, especially friendships.

One of things I also really enjoyed was the romantic triangle between Murphy, Leeda and Rex. That kind of confusion isn't usually represented realistically in YA novels, I find. Usually if someone likes someone else's boyfriend, they turn out to be an evil bitch.

Apparently there is a sequel coming out sometime next year. Although I really enjoyed Peaches, I'm not sure how excited I am about another book. Its one of those novels that really seems snapshotty to me: the summer these girls spent at the orchard. I don't think I need anymore.

Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson
ISBN 0060733071
312 pages

2 Comments:

  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger Leila said…

    I'm pretty sure that Peaches was written by the woman who originally pitched Traveling Pants to Alloy, so that would account for the similarities.

    Ah, yes. I'm right. Fourth or fifth paragraph down.

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger bookstore girl said…

    I feel like I should automatically discount these weird committee books on principal, but I actually have enjoyed them. I'm such a sucker for teenage girl books!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home