Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006


I have always said that I am not a fan of short stories. But I've read a few books of them in the last few years that I've really liked. I begin to think that junior high has traumatized me, turning me off short stories and poetry. I think that it is just Alice Munro and her ilk that I don't like.... I'm not quite ready to plunge back into poetry yet though.

I mention this because Girls Night Out came into the store the other day. Its a bunch of stories by chicklit authors and the proceeds go towards WarChild. Well, I thought to myself, that is a good cause, maybe it's worth checking out. And it was.

The only story I didn't enjoy was Candace Bushnell's. Which is no real surprise, as I tend not to enjoy her work. Her characters are always awful, mean, unhappy and frankly, revolting human beings, with no redeeming characteristics that I can see. So skip that one.

My favourite was Lolly Winston's story Only Some People about one of those bickering couples, Mr. and Mrs. B, who both fantasize of divorce, until Mr. B has a heart attack.

I also really enjoyed Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus' piece about a party. It's about how even when you are exhausted and just want to go to bed, the possibility of seeing that guy will make you run home and shower and tear through your wardrobe and hobble to a party you don't want to go to in heels you can't even properly fit in, all in hopes of seeing that guy. And then how he doesn't show up until you've gone home and removed all your makeup and just run down to the corner deli to get something to eat.

Meg Cabot's hilarious email exchange in Party Planner is just that. For anyone who's ever done something stupid at work.

I could do this for every story, because they were all perfect. Or you could go pick up the book, support a good cause, and have a great evening in.

Girls Night Out edited by Carole Matthews & Sarah Mlynowski
ISBN 0143054457
304 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home