Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Saturday, April 29, 2006


Well. I am working on a novel right now, but in the mean time, how about a nice picture book?

Mrs. Crump's Cat is by Linda Smith. I should preface this by saying that I really don't like cats. I don't care if your cat is the cutest thing ever, and very intelligent and whatever. They are no good in my book. Except for Mrs. Crump's cat, with which I'm in love. It probably helps that Mrs. Crump's cat cannot make me allergic, being only an illustration and all.

Anyways, Mrs. Crump is a rather crotchety woman who finds a cat on her doorstep one wet day. She decides to let the cat come in and dry off, but after that, it must go. "I'll have you know, I have no use for a cat." This becomes Mrs. Crump's refrain, as she reluctantly purchases the cat food, flea soap, a dish and a collar. The grocer suggests she make up a notice so that the cat can be taken off her hands, and Mrs. Crump makes one up.

However, it turns out that no one claims the cat, and Mrs. Crump, wondering to the grocer how she came to be the owner of a cat ("I had no use for a cat."), is told by the grocer "Cats are clever that way. Before you know it, you'll be sitting by the fire with the cat on your lap, wondering how you ever got along without it." And that's exactly what she does.

Astonishingly, cat hater that I am, my favorite part of the book is the cat himself. David Roberts' illustrations are wonderful, capturing the varied expressions on Mrs. Crump's cat. I would highly recommend picking up this book, one of Linda Smith's last before her death of breast cancer.

Mrs. Crump's Cat written by Linda Smith illustrated by David Roberts
ISBN 0060283025
32 pages

1 Comments:

  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger fusenumber8 said…

    Thanks for the heads up on this one. I'm currently trying to read all the best books of 2006. A pro-cat book reviewed by an anti-cat person sells the whole premise. I appreciate it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home