Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Monday, April 24, 2006



I know I am behind on this, but today I finally read Kira-Kira, last year's Newberry winner. The Newberry is one of those awards that I trust. First off, there are a million and one awards for books. And about three quarters of them award books that I think are no good. But Newberry is almost always on the ball, and even if they don't pick my absolute favorite, they always pick great books.

So, Kira-Kira. It's about Katie, who is a Japanese-American living in post-World War II Iowa, until she and her family move to Georgia. The story mainly revolves around Katie's relationship with her older sister Lynn, who eventually dies of lymphoma.

I don't really know what to say about this book. Kadohata's writing is wonderfully simple and present, Katie is an amazingly true character, and I cried like a baby. I think this is just one of those books that should be read. By everybody.

Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata
ISBN 0689856393
244 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home