Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Wednesday, April 19, 2006


The very first blog I started reading was Mimi Smartypants. Mimi's anonymous diary chronicles her life as a 30 something woman living in Chicago. A few years ago a British publisher approached her about publishing her diary in a book. That book is The World According to Mimi Smartypants.

I love her blog, especially since she and her husband adopted their daughter, Nora, from China. So it was weird to read these diary entries from a few years ago and think, I know where your life is going to end up! It is also weird because the marketing they have done for this book is so not Mimi. The cover, as you can see, features a woman wearing pink, pointy-toed high heels. Mimi would not be caught dead in those shoes. She is a recovering goth/punk girl who wears either combat boots or mary janes. Also, because of its diary entry format, the book doesn't have a plot. Which is fine, but the publisher seems to be marketing it to chick lit fans. And there is no real ending. They just picked a date and stopped publishing after that. They've allowed her to put in a great afterword, however, where she addresses the fact that this book deal fell into her lap, and that she had nothing to do with the look of the book at all.

Mimi is hilarious, and crude, and thought-provoking. Though I would highly recommend everyone head over to her blog (her thoughts on adopting a child are especially interesting), I can't say I highly recommend the book. Really, you could just go through her archives and get all the same material.

The World According to Mimi Smartypants by Mimi Smartypants
ISBN 0060786361
237 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home