Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Sunday, June 18, 2006


Hey, I'm not dead! The reason I haven't been posting is because I haven't been reading. I am working my way through Endymion Spring by Matthew Skelton. It is harrible, people, but I'm keeping at it because I want to write about it here, and I'm trying to be a good person and only review books that I've read, cover to cover. Anyway, because it is not so enjoyable, I have been avoiding it, and every time I picked up another book, I felt guilty that I wasn't reading it, so I didn't read anything.

Until yesterday. I came in Saturday morning and went through all the books that arrived on my days off. And guess what finally came in?! Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist!! Thank you, Random House!

Frankly, no Endymion Spring was going to be keeping me from my Nick and Norah, so I got to work. And when I say, work, I mean not work at all, because it was really just a matter of getting started, and then the book took over. I should probably get this out of the way before we go any further. I am not going to say anything bad about this book. Frankly, I can't think of anything. Except maybe that there is a lot of swearing, but whether that's bad or not is really a matter of opinion, and in mine, it's not.

I have not read a book that has such an insanely realistic portrayal of teenagehood, and teenage love in I don't know how long (wait, I do: since I read Gingerbread). The obsession with music, and the physicality of it is so true. I loved this book because it reminded me of what it is like to Feel with a capital F. Ah, to be 17 again!

I also feel I should mention that though Levithan and Cohn wrote this book together (Levithan wrote Nick's chapters, and Cohn wrote Norah's), it didn't feel at all choppy. I hate to make it sound like Levithan and Cohn are not hardworking authors, because I'm sure they are, but none of that work is evident in Nick and Norah. It feels like this book just sort of, came into being. Somebody made this stuff up and wrote it down?! I don't believe it!

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn
ISBN 03758353518
192 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home