Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Sunday, May 14, 2006


I think we all know by now that I have a terrible attraction to bad teen novels. So when Rhymes with Witches came into the store, with it's pink cover, I snatched it right up.

Its an interesting idea, I'll say that much. Jane is a rather unpopular freshman, when she's approached by the Bitches. They're the most popular clique in high school, and everyone adores them. There are only ever four Bitches at a time, one from each grade, and Jane becomes the freshman Bitch. But these girls aren't regular popular. It turns out that they gain their popularity be stealing small items from other girls, and the creepy mythology teacher (Lurl the Pearl) somehow takes the popularity from whatever unfortunate girl the item belongs to and bestows it on the Bitches. Hm.

Anyways, Jane hates the "for one to rise, another must fall" part of being a Bitch, and ends up sacrificing her popularity to save a girl who's been bullied by one of the other Bitches. And that's it. Jane doesn't save the day, or break up the terrible tradition, or go on to be popular for her own sake or anything. She just ends going back to being another peon in high school, only this time, without the best friend she ditched to get into the Bitches in the first place.

Although I enjoyed this book for the most part, I really didn't like the ending. It kind of felt like author Lauren Myracle just ran out of ideas and decided to end the book. Despite that, I think this would be a great book for any girls who go to one of those horrendously cliquey schools. Its nice to think that its not your fault you're not popular: blame witchcraft!

Rhymes with Witches by Lauren Myracle
ISBN 0810992159
249 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home