Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Wednesday, May 10, 2006



Reasons today is going to be awesome:

1. Last night's episode of Gilmore Girls was amazing.
2. My cold is almost gone.
3. I woke up this morning singing Patsy Cline.
4. I am wearing my painful, but oh so cute button shoes.
5. Today is my "Friday" and I'm off for two days starting tomorrow.
6. My car radio was on full blast when I started it this morning, and it was playing NIN!

So last night I watched tv and read the newest Gossip Girls novel. I will say that I have enjoyed these books in the past. In the same way that every now and then I enjoy going to McDonald's. I know its bad for me, but it tastes so good! Until a few hours later, when I start to feel totally disgusting. Unfortunately, Gossip Girls hits me before McDonald's. About two chapters in I started to feel gross for reading this book.

I haven't read all these books, but they all follow the same characters, mostly rich kids who live in New York. The only descriptions the author provides are ones of the name brand clothes the characters are wearing. You never know what a place looks like, only the clothes. And even then, only if they are expensive. The poor characters never have their clothes described.

Anyways, I used to enjoy these books in the same sick fascinated way I enjoyed reading about those crazy Hiltons, but I think I have reached full capacity for this kind of thing. Even for a summer beach read (or summer cold), this one was not satisfying. Get thee to a Marian Keyes novel, I say! (Or Karen Rivers, or Louise Rennison, or Susan Juby, or Carolyn Mackler, or even Yvonne Collins & Sandy Rideout).

P.S. I'm a total tool; I've gone and "misplaced" Enna Burning. So I have to wait for a new copy to come in before I can review it. Cue me hitting my head against a wall.

Gossip Girls #9: Only in Your Dreams by Cecily von Ziegesar
ISBN 0316011827
232 pages

2 Comments:

  • At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    why did you break out the pretty shoes, al? something special happening today?

     
  • At 11:51 PM, Blogger bookstore girl said…

    Sometimes, you just need to wear great shoes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home