Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Saturday, May 06, 2006


I am about to start reading Enna Burning by Shannon Hale (Thanks, Margaret!), but in the mean time, I'll do a picture book for youse guys.

Brave Charlotte is about a flock of sheep. Charlotte is not like the other sheep, who sit around and eat grass and not much else. Charlotte goes on adventures, climbing trees, mountains, and swimming through streams. One day the shepherd falls and breaks his leg, and as Jack, the sheepdog is too old to make it all the way to the valley, Charlotte goes in his stead. She brings the farmer back, and all's well that ends well.

Although I have liked Henrike Wilson's art in other books, I don't think his illustrations were goofy and light-hearted enough for a book about a sheep who climbs trees. I also thought parts of the story seemed odd. When Charlotte makes the trek to find the farmer, it takes almost all night. And why is Jack the sheepdog not retired if he is too old to get help? I was also enjoying, in the first few pages, the refrain of the older sheep whenever Charlotte has another adventure. Tut tut tut! they said. But about half way through the book, the stopped tutting and moved on to other exclamations.

Although I liked the message about individuality, I don't think this one had the extra something special that a great picture book has.

Brave Charlotte written by Anu Stohner illustrated by Henrike Wilson
ISBN 074758043X
32 pages

3 Comments:

  • At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Apart from the spelling and grammatical errors in these comments, which are annoying even to Dutch person as myself, your critics lack knowledge on the subject of child literature. You should spend more time on research, before you publish your 'book critics' for each and everyone to read.
    ex. Henrike Wilson is not a HE but a SHE..

    The wonderful world in the minds of children, isn't it fantastic ("odd"..) Non-fiction, magic, hilarious.. everything is possible! No need for mature explanations whatsoever. Pitty the child that wonders about the fact an old dog that doesn't retire?!!.... .. Let children be children.. they have the rest of their mature lifes to worry about facts and figures..

     
  • At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Apart from the spelling and grammatical errors in these comments, which are annoying even to Dutch person as myself, your critics lack knowledge on the subject of child literature. You should spend more time on research, before you publish your 'book critics' for each and everyone to read.
    ex. Henrike Wilson is not a HE but a SHE..

    The wonderful world in the minds of children, isn't it fantastic ("odd"..) Non-fiction, magic, hilarious.. everything is possible! No need for mature explanations whatsoever. Pitty the child that wonders about the fact an old dog that doesn't retire?!!.... .. Let children be children.. they have the rest of their mature lifes to worry about facts and figures..

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger bookstore girl said…

    You know, I thought and thought about this comment, and how I was going to respond, but in the end, all I can think is that anonymous is a tool with no sense of humour. Feel free to never read my blog again!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home