Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Thursday, May 04, 2006


Okay, so. The other day I read Flashcards of My Life by Charise Mericle Harper. It could be Merigle. The font makes it kind of hard to tell. Okay, just checked Amazon.ca, it is Mericle.

Now that that pressing issue is sorted, let's talk about the book. It's the story of Emily, who is in middle school, and trying to deal with a rather complicated life. Her parents spend all their time fighting, her serveral friends go together like "tuna fish salad and ice cream," and she's stuck on "crush island." Fortunately, she gets a birthday package from her mum's best friend that includes a set of 'flashcards of my life' to fill out. This is much less daunting than the usual blank journals she gets, so Emily gets to work filling out the cards.

What follows is Emily's story told through a combination of first person narrative, flashcards, and really funny sketches. Though the ending was a little to tied up nicely for my taste, I think this book would be wonderful for those pre-teen girls who aspire to read teen novels, but are maybe a little young. Emily is an exceedingly endearing character, and I very much enjoyed this book.

Flashcards of My Life by Charise Mericle Harper
ISBN 0316756210
240 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home