Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Okay, I'm a big, fat idiot. Yesterday I started Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City on Leila's recommendation, and then I stupidly left it at home last night. Stupidly because its amazing!


So today I had to make do with Sandpiper by Ellen Wittlinger. Wittlinger is one of those authors that I know I've read before, and liked, but I can't remember what all it is that I've read.

Sandpiper is about a girl who has been labelled a slut. Since her friends have abandoned her, she starts hanging around with this weird guy who spends all his time walking around town. Meanwhile, one of the boys Sandpiper "dated" has become a total psycho and is starting to get scary. But she feels she can't tell her mum, because she's in the midst of planning her wedding.

It sounds like a whole lot of teen angst issues all thrown into one book. And to tell you the truth, it did seem a little over the top. However, Wittlinger is a great writer. Sandpiper is such a wonderful character that I would have read about her no matter how over the top her story was. She's funny in the right places, clever in the right places, and I definitely cried in a few places.

Sandpiper by Ellen Wittlinger
ISBN 0689868022
240 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home