Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Monday, September 11, 2006


So I've just finished Meg Rosoff's new book. Rosoff, you may recall,
is my hero. I was a little nervous about this one, because there's a quote from Alice Munro on the back. Why Alice Munro? What does she have to do with anything? I have now read the book, and I still cannot answer that. However, other than the quote, the book is as close to perfection as a book can get, I think.

Its the story of 15 year old David, who has the horrifying realization one day that fate is out to get him. Think of all the terrible things that can happen to a person! They could all happen to him! So David decides to try and fool fate, by changing everything about himself, including his name. The newly christened Justin Case heads over to the local charity shop to get himself a new wardrobe, and when he's approached to run cross country at school, he joins the team (David can think of nothing less enjoyable than running for long distances). Meanwhile, Justin becomes involved with Agnes, a kooky 19 year old photographer, with whom he ends up falling in love.

Throughout all of these happenings, Justin continues to be convinced that something is out to get him, and accordingly suffers from a very serious depression; a miasma of a depression that seems to be never-ending.

Although I enjoy Rosoff's books immensely, they always make me feel kind of like I am missing something. Its the same way I have always felt in literature classes, when I've done the reading, and enjoyed it, and then I come to class and find that all sorts of things happened that I didn't even notice. Because I was too busy enjoying the story. I think this happened here, too. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Justin's trials and tribulations (though I'll admit to wanting to slap him upside the head a few times), but I get the impression there's a bit more to the book than a depressed teenager. I just can't quite put my finger on it. I'm thinking that maybe this book will require a few readings to get it all straight in my head. I can't think of a better way to spend my time.

Just in Case by Meg Rosoff
ISBN 0385746784
246 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home