Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Wednesday, September 13, 2006


So after Millicent Min I whipped through Stanford Wong Flunks Big-Time yesterday. It's the same story as the previous book, but this time from Stanford's perspective. Can I just say, I'm so glad that I was never a boy! As hilarious as Stanford and his buddy's are, I don't think I would be up to the grossness that is required.

Anyways, Stanford flunked English, and instead of getting to go to the coolest basketball camp ever, he's going to summer school. And being tutored by the most annoying nerdball on the planet, Millicent Min. On top of that, he's grandmother, Yin Yin is being sent to live in an old folks home, his dad is always at work, and his mum seems to be desperately unhappy. Oh right, and he's told his friends he's got a summer job, rather than admit he flunked out of English.

I have to say, after reading these two books, I really think that Lisa Yee's talents lie in her ability to enter the minds of kids. Stanford and Millicent are both such real kids, I sort of feel like I might run into them one day, in the park or something. I'm calling it: she's the Beverly Cleary of the twenty first century.

Stanford Wong Flunks Big-Time by Lisa Yee
ISBN 0439622476
296 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home