Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Saturday, April 08, 2006


Have you ever read any books by Marian Keyes? I adore her. Her newest one came in today, so I gave it a start... and a finish. Anybody Out There? is the fourth book in what I loosely consider the chronicles of the Walsh sisters. The Walsh family consists of five daughters, the ever hilarious Mammy Walsh, and a rather downtrodden father ("even the shagging cat is a girl!"). So far we have heard from the eldest, Claire in Watermelon, next down Margaret in Angels, middle child Rachel in Rachel's Holiday, and now we get the second to youngest, Anna's story. I am on tenterhooks waiting for the youngest Helen to get her chance, because she has got to be one of the best characters I've ever read.

Anna lives in New York where she works at a job she mostly likes doing PR for beauty products. She is exceedingly happily married to Aidan. However, as the book opens, Anna is back home in Ireland, with various injuries, such as a broken arm. It turns out that she and Aidan were in a car accident, and Aidan was killed. Most of the book takes place after she returns to New York, and during her grieving process. One of the reasons I love Keyes' books are because they literally make me laugh out loud (this doesn't happen very often) and they make me cry. Like a baby. And this one was no different.

I sort of feel like I should say more, because I loved it, but I think that about covers it. I just really like Marian Keyes. Hm, I was also thinking that maybe this is too much chick lit in one week, but I don't really care, because it's my blog, and I can do whatever I want! Hahaha!

Anybody Out There? by Marian Keyes
ISBN 0718147642
593 pages

3 Comments:

  • At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're not a real lady if you do not own a copy of Rachel's Holiday.

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger bookstore girl said…

    True, true. I must reiterate how excited I am about the possibility of a book about Helen though. She is super hilarious in this latest one.

     
  • At 11:16 PM, Blogger bookstore girl said…

    PS Sorry it took so long for this comment to pop up... for some reason stupid blogger wouldn't let me publish it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home