Can't Stop Reading

Lucky for me I get a hefty discount at work, because I just can't seem to stop myself!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006


Note to self: when a book features a quote from "Kevin Williamson, creator, Dawson's Creek TV series; writer, Scream movies" on the back, do not pick it up! Today I read Bass Ackwards and Belly Up by Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain. Great title, eh? Too bad even two writers couldn't make this one work. The story begins in Boulder, Colorado, with four girls who have been friends forever. They are preparing to go their separate ways, to colleges all over the US. However, one of the friends, Harper, drops a bombshell: she's not going to NYU, she's going to stay in Boulder and work on the next Great American Novel (question: when did the last Great American Novel come out? Have I missed it?!). Long story short, three of the four end up dropping their college plans to follow their dreams. Harper stays home to write, Sophie moves to LA to pursue her acting career, and Kate decides to backpack around the world. There is much falling in love with both the right guys, and the wrong throughout. The biggest problem I had with this book was how unrealistic it seemed. Maybe I've always just been too practical, but to drop out of college a week before it starts seems like the kind of thing your parents wouldn't really go along with. I especially hated the way Kate went to Europe with approximately $3000 US. At the rate she was spending, she should have been broke about a month into the trip. And I know that is a silly detail to get caught up on, but I couldn't help it! I always have a hard time distinguishing between characters being flaky teens or whatever, and being just stupid, unrealistic characters. So yeah, didn't like this one so much.

Bass Ackwards and Belly Up by Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain
ISBN 0316059732
386 pages

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home